Saturday, January 3, 2009

The world loses two radicals, prolific even in old age

Today is a sad day as two of the most wonderfully interesting people I have been familiar with have passed on. Through ones stubborn disregard for the taboo and the others stalwart escape of the mundane, both changed my conception of the status quo and effectively enriched my life by shifting out the borders of my perception, even if only slightly.

Of these two individuals Jack Dulles was the only one whom I had the pleasure of meeting in person. Born in 1913 Professor Dulles was the oldest Professor at the University of Texas when we met him in October of last year. Having attended Princeton for his undergraduate education, Harvard for his MBA and working several years at a Bank in New York, Dulles decided to head south of the border to work in the mining industry. He would begin studying the communist military regimes of South America, ultimately becoming one of the world’s primary historical authorities.

Professor Dulles’ stories of meeting with communist government officials and surviving the dangers of the mining industry while friends and co-workers perished before his eyes were of a romantic nature I did not realize existed outside of wildly creative historical fiction. Sporting wild grey hair, candy red framed sunglasses and a smile with more sincerity than some express in a lifetime the 95 year old professor let us in on the secret to life, “Have a great interest in what one is doing and be active.”

The second person that we’ve lost today is none other than George Carlin. While I can’t say I new him personally his cultural significance is unquestionable. Comedians are some of the most tireless studies of human nature and in my opinion offer incredibly valuable and astute social commentary. George Carlin challenged issues in a public forum that few had the guts to question privately and through his vocal disregard for the status quo enabled us to be far more brazen and free in our own lives. Carlin was a professional wordsmith and has left the world with more valuable quotes, quips and phrases than I could begin to describe. One of my favorites, “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.”

These men had one profound similarity that was characteristic of who they were and the successes they realized. They never stopped growing, questioning and evolving and were prolific and significant in their chosen fields until the day they died.

I think I’ll always recognize the importance of romance and idealism in the way I choose to live. But, it was certainly nice having these two men around to remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment